bideford logo


 Minutes of the Tourism Committee held in the Town Hall, Bideford on Wednesday 27 July 2016 at 6.00 pm

PRESENT:

East Ward:    
Councillor Mrs R Craigie
Councillor J McKenzie
Councillor S Robinson

South Ward (Outer):    
Councillor D Howell (Chairman)

IN ATTENDANCE:    Mrs L Dixon-Chatfield (Town Clerk’s Asst)

014   APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Councillor D Bushby (North Ward) – Personal
Mrs Ruth Benney (Atlantic Village TIC) - Personal

015   DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST ON ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

No declarations of interest were received at this point.

016   PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION

No members of the public were present.

017   MINUTES

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 22 June 2016 were approved and signed as a correct record.

(Vote For: 3, Against: 0)

018   BIDEFORD FOOD FEST UPDATE

The Chairman informed members that unfortunately the Taste of Torridge Food Festival has been cancelled for this year.  The Town Clerk’s Assistant further explained that she had sent out booking forms to 25 stallholders and 5 breweries but had received only completed forms from 5 stallholders and 1 brewery.  With these numbers, the difficult decision to cancel needed to be taken.  She had, however, received positive feedback for an event next year but later in the summer holidays and had received advice to let stallholders know before March 2017. The reason for most of the stallholders not taking part was in part  due to the date and others advised that they book into food fairs, usually about 12 months in advance.

Members discussed an alternative date.

The Chairman, concluded, and all members agreed, that Sunday 20th August 2017 would be the new date and that communication needed to be sent to the contacts as soon as possible, with a follow up in September.  This would give 12 months notice.
It was noted that a review of participants would be taken when booking forms had been received in.

019   ONE OFF ENTERTAINMENT EVENTS.

Members were updated as follows:

•    Craft Fair –  Mrs Benney was still working on the event and would further update at the next meeting.

•    Musical Evening – Due to an important Mayoral engagement, the date has needed to be changed.  The Chairman advised that he had spoken to Encore and they suggested a date in December (to be confirmed) which would make the evening     a Festive occasion.

•    School Choirs – The Chairman had recently been present at the East the Water Community Primary School’s Year 6 Leaver’s Assembly and has invited their School Choir to sing in the Pannier Market in the lead-up to Christmas.  Their     Headteacher, Mrs Higley, has suggested a Friday as it is the best day for the teachers to participate.  The Chairman would approach the other schools to invite their choirs to perform in the Pannier Market on subsequent Fridays     during December.

020   “TAKE A PRIDE IN YOUR TOWN” SPRUCE UP DAY – TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE AND SET A DATE FOR THE NEXT “SPRUCE UP DAY”

The Chairman reported the event in June to be a great success although he was a little sceptical beforehand that the turn-out would not be as good as the first one.  He noted that there had been fewer areas of litter which he considered had been the benefit of the first tidy up.  

He informed members that subsequent to the June event, the Manager of McDonalds in Bideford and Barnstaple, Mr Hunt, had contacted him and expressed a wish to be part of the next spruce up and would submit a team of 10.  McDonalds have a community programme and Mr Hunt wished to be part of the Bideford operation, as he is involved in the Barnstaple clean up.

Feedback from members followed with areas of weeding highlighted, especially along the Quay and that the bollards on the Quay were being filled with rubbish through a small hole in the top.  

Members discussed dates, the Clerk suggested towards the end of September before the colder weather sets in.  Members agreed that a recommendation for a date be put to the full Town Council at the next meeting on 4th August.

(Councillor McKenzie joined the meeting.)

Proposed by Councillor Howell, seconded and

RECOMMENDED:  

•    That a date for the next Spruce up of the Town be made by Councillors at the next full Town Council meeting on 4th August 2016.

•    That a letter be sent to Torridge District Council regarding the buddleia that is growing rapidly along the Quay wall, especially opposite the Police Station and will eventually cause damage.  The letter needs to outline that the     work undertaken is beyond the capability of the Spruce Up teams and that this Council would ask them, Torridge, if they would be able to look at the possibility of clearing it.

•    That our Streetsweeper/Maintenance Man, Ben, be asked to look at the bollards and see if there is any way to get the rubbish out of them.

(Vote For: 4, Against: 0)

021   STREET THEATRE TO RECEIVE OPTIONS FOR GAZEBOS

The Chairman circulated a table of comparative prices to members of 3m x 3m and 6m x 3m gazebos.  He had, he said, observed that there appeared to be a shortage of 6m x 3m gazebos at this moment in time but had been informed by companies that more would be available at the end of the summer.  

Members discussed the various options and out of the list they agreed that the best prices for quality would be two of the companies (one of them in Taunton).  The Chairman advised that he would investigate further the delivery costs and email the results to members.
 
022   INFORMATION BOARD – LITTLE AMERICA – TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON ACTIONS FROM THE LAST MEETING

The Chairman informed members that whilst the cleaning up of Little America had started, there had been a slight delay as an underground service check needed to be carried out; Devon County had not been forthcoming with their underground plans.

The Clerk advised that she and the Town Clerk had managed to conduct an underground service check with the help of Torridge District Council and online companies – at no cost.  The results had been a fibre-optic cable belonging to BT which does not interfere with plans for securing the picnic tables.

She further informed members that Wings had cleared most of the area, repaired the fencing and the existing benches and were waiting for us to give them the go-ahead to make the picnic tables.

The Chairman advised the Clerk to give Wings the go-ahead with the picnic tables and he would further progress the Information Board.

023   TO RECEIVE AN UP DATE ON THE REFURBISHMENT OF THE ART BRICKS IN THE QUAY WALL

The Chairman advised that he has been in touch with Andrew Waite from Torridge District Council who has shown enthusiasm in getting the bricks refurbished.  Andrew has agreed to implement a 5 year electrical check and to progress the hardware work involved.  

The Chairman had met with the original Project Manager of the Art Bricks who was keen to be consulted on the project.

Whilst not an agenda item, the Chairman wished to discuss the making of a video of town events with members..  He had spoken to Graham Hobbs who would be willing to trial the making of a video of events in the Town – perhaps Music Day, Landivisiau Reception, Regatta and Carnival.  This would be a short test to see what results would be forthcoming with a view to covering all major events that Bideford hosts.  The end aim to be a microcosm (or snapshot) of what Bideford has to offer and to post it to websites, social media and all aspects of marketing.

The Clerk advised  that Councillor Bushby had made contact with AJB Videos and was in the process of meeting with Mr Braund of that company to discuss prices.

Members considered approaching Town Council for of a sum of money in the region of £500 to be  made available for a short film to be made as a fore-runner for the final product.  

The Chairman and Councillor McKenzie agreed that they would meet with Graham Hobbs to discuss further.

024   ITEMS FOR NEXT TOURISM COMMITTEE AGENDA

Councillor McKenzie advised Members that 2017 would be the centenary of the closure of the Bideford/Appledore Railway.

The Chairman would like members to consider a pictorial board showing What’s On in Bideford.
 
025   DATE OF NEXT MEETING

A date would need to be agreed – the Town Clerk would contact members of the Tourism Committee in due course.


The business of the meeting having been completed, the Chairman thanked the members for their attendance and the meeting concluded at 6.56 pm.


♦Delivering the information you need about our decision making processes and supporting community participation in local democracy♦

♦ Helping to make the beautiful Town of Bideford a better place to live and work in! ♦


Bideford - A Fairtrade Town


fairtrade & Living Wage employers

Fairtrade is about equitable pricing, good work conditions, sustainability and fair trading for farmers and workers in the developing world. Bideford is a registered Fairtrade Town - Support local and world farmers - look for the fairtrade logo on your shopping items.

Visit the site...

© Bideford Town Council 2015 Gingerweb Ltd site design and SEO In North Devon